Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Module 2 - Tasks

EMAIL TASKS
1. I searched Lycos for myself - there's another Heather Mann in Boulder which I could tell only because the phone number was wrong. To find the email address I would have to register. On Yahoo I found my sisters address and phone number but for further information I would have to pay. I couldn't find either of our email addresses - but I thought it would be confusing if you were looking for someone and their name appears 17 times - do you just keep trying until you get a response from the person you're looking for?

Reading further down the module I see we don't need to go through and answer all of the tutorial stuff in here- good thing as it was going to be tedious :)

I'm not sure where the information about where the email came from is. But you can tell from the address a few things. If, for instance, it ends in .au chances are they are in Australia (although not necessarily as I still use my .au address but live in the us). The organization they belong to may also be included as the domain, or you can tell that they are using a free address with webmail such as www.hdmann0903@hotmail.com .

If you need further information than looking at the Internet Headers (in Message Options in Outlook). The Internet Headers for an email I recieved today look like this...

Return-Path:
X-Original-To: heather@mann.com.au
Delivered-To: m4457776@randymail-mx2.dreamhost.com
Received: from mail.batteries4less.com (mail.batteries4less.com [64.151.119.251])
by randymail-mx2.dreamhost.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id DBBF613BB75
for ; Wed, 29 Nov 2006 09:45:31 -0800 (PST)
Received: from localhost (cbw.batteries4less.com [127.0.0.1])
by mail.batteries4less.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 4E42F2860103
for ; Wed, 29 Nov 2006 09:45:29 -0800 (PST)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Message-ID: <20061129434498532@batteries4less.com>
From: "Cellphone Battery Warehouse"
To: "Heather Mann"
Subject: Your Order from Cellphone Battery Warehouse
X-Priority: 3 (Normal)
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 09:45:29 -0800 (PST)

2. CC/BCC/REPLY ALL
Generally CC is for when you want to keep someone else informed of a communication but which is not for them to participate in directly
BCC is the same as CC but you don't want anyone else to know that they are recieveing the information
REPLY ALL is when you want your response to be sent to everyone the original email was sent to. (USE SPARINGLY)

3. ATTACHMENTS
You can send an attachment as a pdf which anyone with the free adobereader can view.

4. FILTERS
I have lots of spam/junkmail rules which keep my inbox nice and clean. At the moment I don't have any filters set up but when I was working I had emails from people in particular departments go into those folders, and emails from important people highlighted in different colours.

5. EMAIL STRUCTURE
  • I have my folders separated out into:
  • people for family and friends
  • Travel folder with emails from planning different holidays
  • Renovations folder as we've been renovating our house and have lots of emails from people
  • Internet Studies
  • Purchases
  • Bills
  • Misc. - everything else
  • I often have temporary folders when I'm working on a project.
I sort things out this way as I find it easy to keep track and it's what I'm used to.

LISTS

I had a quick look at Yahoo groups and found a scrapbooking one for my mum. I had a look through but didn't see anything I want to devote time to reading.

*****COME BACK****
  • What are the pros and cons of email lists versus discussion boards?
  • Are there certain kinds of communication or purposes more suited to one than the other?

NEWSGROUPS -
I went to newzbot and looked for an Amazing Race newsgroup and after a few go's figured out I needed to search for amazing.race. I found this process slow and difficult - and the two newsgroups for this had no information. Searching for LOST (which I don't watch) produced better results - although I find this type of communication rather difficult and primitive in computer life. Also, you have to know what the newsgroup is called that you're looking for - kind of useless really (at least for me - and I may be missing the point)

Usenet.org seems to just be links to other pages - and mostly advertising. The links to Usenet servers required payment for access.

Dmoz.org had links to newsgroup lists which were easier to find newsgroups on but the information was sketchy at best

So, I resorted to Google Groups - which keeps all of the usenet groups as well and low and behold, there was alt.tv.amazing-race which is quite an active group. So, I'll keep an eye on it for a few days and then post.

********COME BACK************

ICQ
I downloaded and installed ICQ without incident. I'm always amazed at how much information people will post about themselves.
My ICQ number is 489772401 - I guess I'll have to wait until others get to this module to chat with them. I use MSN all the time which looks to be similar.
I tried searching for advanced netstudies but got an error. Request cannot be processed. Will try again later ******COME BACK ****************
It does seem as though everyone is using MSN for chat - and that's definitly the standard for people in this course. I've talked to Greg about Trillian which he uses and likes very much and lets you talk to people on any of the chat programs which is cool..

IRQ - I'm pretty sure I read that we should skip this but can't find the post. Will have to ask some others.
Anyway, I downloaded it and started to figure out how to connect etc. but decided I would wait until some others are around to do this with. Seems very laborious though. *****COME BACK***

No comments: